“A fail to plan is a plan to fail”
Such an old, but true statement and it’s a well-known one for a reason! If we are trying to create change in our lives, it’s not going to just fall into our laps! It takes intention. It takes making the decision that we are committing to change and we are going to do what it takes to get there. But how do we know where we’re going and how we’re going to get there if we don’t create a plan? If we just go through our days blindly with no structure, we are bound to accomplish half of what we are capable of! Have you ever started your day off with a to-do list? When you followed that list and checked each task off, how did that feel? I bet you felt accomplished and satisfied that you got done what you set out to do. Having that list in front of you sets a clear picture for your day and what it will take to achieve those tasks. What about the days you had a million things to do, yet you got maybe 1 or 2 of 10+ done…. usually those days don’t include a list or a clear plan and leave you feelling frazzled and unaccomplished!
So why would your nutrition be any different? Setting a goal to lose the weight, change your body composition, improve performance, eat cleaner, or whatever the goal may be isn’t a small task. We won’t sugar coat things! It takes hard work, consistency, dedication and all of that requires a PLAN! We know your goals are important to you and we know they are absolutely achievable if you put in the work, but we also know it can feel overwhelming knowing where to start. What does a plan even look like? Well, we are here to help!
- Overview your coming week: Before your week starts, sit down and map out what your week is going to look like. Do you have certain days that will be longer than others? Are there days you will be eating out? Any special occasions? Pin point any events that you may need to special plan for and then make sure you are game planning for those first!
- Plan your grocery trips. We recommend 2X a week. One is the main trip of the week, getting everything you need, the second one is usually for fruits and veggies that will only last part of the week! If you have your grocery trips planned out and your lists made, this will prevent wasting time with unnecessary stops at the store (not to mention usually more unnecessary money spent!) and equip you with everything you need to stay on track during the week. We also love weekly produce delivery like Helsing Junction Farms! (use code flexfuel for your first delivery FREE!)
- Plan your bulk food items. Depending on your schedule and your preference, some of you may need to food prep all of your meals, while some of you may only need to prep certain items or a few meals. If you know you have busy nights and dinner is your hardest meal, plan out bulk cassaroles, crockpot meals, meats, etc. that will be easy to grab when you get home! Or if you just need to prep bulk items like chicken, rice or potatoes to pair with different meals, plan those so they are easy to grab during the week and save big on prep time!
- Plan your ‘perfect day’. This is something we tell all of our clients starting out and it’s a no-fail! This is a day of food that is perfectly structured around your goals, this will look differently for everyone, but having this in your back pocket at all times is key in emergencies or if you just don’t have the time or energy to think up anything else! Knowing what go-to meals always work into your plan will be a life saver and although it may not always be exciting, it’s effective!
- Set aside the time to plan your week and days. As mentioned above, you will need a time to plan out your grocery trip and your structure for the week. In addition, we have seen GREAT success with setting aside 10-30 minutes (the longer you do this the quicker it will be!) to plan out your day, the day BEFORE . So, once a week you are planning your week’s overview and then every day you are planning in detail your next day! If this just becomes a regular habit, it will be easy, take the guesswork and stress out of your day to day!
So simple, yet we tend to make it so complicated! Our bodies were not meant to sit all day at a desk, in a car or be inactive!! We can make excuses until the cows come home but our bodies were meant to MOVE! The second part of this week’s challenge is making sure you move some how, some way, every day. Again, this will look different for every person and we encourage you to do whatever feels best to you! You are all most likely in one these categories, you either are:
1) Inactive or have very low activity: If you are in this category, all you have to do is START! An amazing tool we love to use regardless of your fitness level is a Fitbit, Apple watch, Garmin, or something similar that counts your steps. Setting a goal of 10,000 steps daily will ensure that you are moving a significant amount! If you start out and find you are only averaging 2,000, challenge yourself to get 3K, then 5k and try to up it a little each week! Reach out to a friend (or in our private Facebook group!) for accountability to move some how each day!
2) Are active daily: If you are active daily- great! That’s an awesome start and you may have a great routine down! We want to challenge all of you in this category to keep it spicy, keep it fun and just like the group above, it doesn’t hurt to make sure you are getting a minimum of 10k steps in! It’s amazing how even when we workout daily, we may be falling short in our daily NEAT (activity outside of our workouts to keep us moving throughout the day!)
3) Are SUPER active… maybe a little TOO active?: This might sound a little opposite of what this week’s challenge is all about, but yes, being TOO active can actually slow progress or even take us backwards! Are you burning the candle at both ends? Are you doing super long or multiple sessions in the gym? Working all day on your feet? Chasing around little ones? Getting minimal sleep and having long days? Doing too much will NOT create your healthiest life! If you are in this category we want to encourage you to add in a rest day, bring down workout volume, intensity or add in some more restful acitivity like yoga or relaxing walks!
If you feel lost on where to find a workout regimine, we highly recommend checking out our good friend, Cody ‘Boom Boom’ McBroom’s Ebook HERE for a easy to follow workout routine! If you missed our interview with him, check that out HERE!
We are confident if you implement these two tactics, you are SURE to succeed and instantly be catapulted forward into a healthier life! Need help game planning for these or figuring out where and how these fit into your life? We are more than happy to help! Please reach out to us via email or in our private Facebook group (let us know if you aren’t in and want to be!) and we will create a plan together!
Now make a plan, move your body and kick some butt!!