Although here in Washington we are still having hot Summer days, the mornings are starting to feel a little more like Fall and it’s getting darker much earlier. This sparked that feeling to start making some more Fall inspired dishes to change things up a bit!
These meatballs are protein packed and can be made with half ground beef half ground turkey or chicken to make even leaner, or make them into chicken or turkey meatballs, they will be delicious any way! Make sure you’re using 93/7 or leaner ground beef to keep fat content down and of course, we always recommend organic, grass-fed beef whenever possible!
Enjoy these by themselves or served over mashed potatoes, veggie noodles or our 2 ingredient cauliflower mashed potatoes!
This recipe was inspired by Skinny Taste w/ our own macro twist and we gotta say, it’s a must try!
- 2 lbs 93/7 Ground Beef
- 200g White Onion, minced
- 8oz Mini Portebello Mushrooms, finely diced
- 2/3 Cup Organic Bread Crumbs
- 184g Egg Whites
- 4T Tomato Paste
- 2T All Purpose Flour (or sub in gluten free flour)
- Pinch of Salt & Pepper
- 2 tsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Mustard Powder
- 2.5 Cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
- Parsley to garnish
- In a large pan, spray with non-stick spray and sauté onions until golden brown. Split in half.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, half the onion, half the mushrooms, bread crumbs, egg whites, 2T tomato paste, 1/2 cup broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Form meat into 20 meatballs. spread evenly in large pan (you can also put these in the instant pot or slow cooker), brown over medium-high heat until browned on each side, reduce heat to low-medium.
- While meatballs are browning, in a small bowl, combine the remaining broth, mushrooms & onions, tomato paste, flour, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard powder, salt & pepper. Whisk together and pour over meatballs.
- Cover and let cook for 15-20 minutes until cooked through
Macros per 1 meatball:
4.9F 6.9C 11.8P