I don’t know about you, but i’m often intimidated by making my own pizza crust, bread, or anything of the sorts from home.. seems so easy to mess up! Until today. We love pizza in our house but ordering it out can be overly greasy and loaded with calories. We love the this crust pizza’s loaded with all the goodness, so I thought it was time to create our own and let me tell you, I was SO happy with the result and it truly was easy peasy!
The recipe for the pizza came out to 8 slices, but it was very light, so we made 2. Pizza is great because it’s so versatile! Add any mixture of protein and veggies you’d like. Red sauces will always be lower calorie than white, creamy ones, and I find that a little bit of cheese goes a long way! You could try a whole wheat or gluten free flour for the crust, it should work just fine, but I didn’t try it out, if you do- let me know! Dairy free or no cheese at all is always an option too!
For the Crust:
- 1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Lukewarm Water
- 1/2 tsp. Honey
- 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- Preheat Oven to 500 degrees. You could also do this on the grill, but I used the oven on a non-stick pizza pan.
- Mix the water, honey and yeast & let sit for 10 minutes, it should get a little foamy.
- Mix in the flour with a spoon and then finish it up with your hands just until it’s all mixed well. If it’s too sticky add a little more flour.
- Flour your workstation so your dough doesn’t stick and then take your ball of dough and knead it about 5 times.
- Roll out your dough into about a 10-12″ circle, then transfer your dough to your pizza pan.
For the Toppings:
- About 30 Slices of Turkey Pepperoni. This is where you can add more protein if you like, think chunks of chicken, salami, bacon, beef.. whatever you like! I’m keeping it simple for this recipe.
- 1 8oz Can Crushed Tomatoes. I used chopped up tomatoes from my garden and mixed them in!
- Fresh Basil
- 1T Oregano
- 1T Crushed Red Pepper (less if you don’t like spice)
- 120g Artichoke hearts, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- 200g White onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1T Butter
- 2 oz Part Skim Mozarella, sliced thin or shredded
- 4oz Sliced White Mushrooms
- Sautee garlic and onion in butter in a saucepan until tender, add tomatoes and all spices.
- Once dough is rolled out and ready add sauce, cheese, mushrooms, vegges, meat.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown!
- Slice into 8 pieces and enjoy!
Macros for 1 Slice: 20C 8P 2.5F