So what supplements should you be taking? How do you sift throught the millions and know which ones should be top on your list? We could spend endless amounts of money on what the newest, in supplement is, but who wants to dump unnceccary, hard-earned cash down the drain or consume endless amounts of pills and powders all day?
Let’s get down to the nitty gritty- below we break down our top 8 Supplements we find essential and/or find helpful for health and performance.
1. Fish Oil: Our bodies cannot create Omega-3 fatty acids themselves, so we must supplement them! We can obtain Omega 3’s through out diet, but unfortunately it comes in at a very low percentage and so finding a high quality fish oil supplement is highly recommended. 3’s have anti inflammatory properties whereas Omega 6’s have pro-inflammatory properties and can increase pain in our bodies, however a certain level of 6’s is necessary to maintain a healthy balance. It is important we consume a high quality diet to ensure we are getting as close to a 1:1 balance in Omega 3 to Omega 6’s. Since it can be extremely hard to find that balance in today’s culture, adding in a dose of .25g EPA/DHA per 10lbs of bodyweight daily is essential.
2. Vitamin D: Deficiency in Vitamin D is common in most people. Even if levels appear to be within range, you can usually still benefit from supplementing. Taking a daily dose of 2000-5000 Units will prevent the negative effects on your performance, hormones and recovery that low levels of D can cause.
3.Vitamin C: C is amazing for immune health, it aids in the repairing and rebuilding all our bodies tissues, contributes in regulating cortisol and in turn help to reduce stress. The list of benefits could go on and on! Since we can’t consume and ample amount through our diet, supplementing 500-2000mg a day will ensure we reap all the benefits!
4. Magnesium: Magnesium reduces inflammation, soothes nerves and aids in sleep. It’s necessary for energy production and glycolosis, so you if you are participating in any type of mixed module exercise, this is for you! Women should take 300mg and men 400mg.
5. Creatine: This is scientifically proven to increase power output in exercise! The best results will be seen when taken over an extended amount of time, consuming 3-5g post workout.
6. BCAA (Branched chain amino acid): Taking 7-15g 20 minutes prior to training and then sipping throughout your workout is ideal. If you workout fasted this is essential in making sure we aren’t breaking down hard-earned muscle! BCAA’s increaes the rate of protein synthesis and slow protein breakdown. It will allow you to push harder longer and if you are in a caloric defecit it provides muscle retention and can convert to immediate glucose for energy.
7. Protein Powder: Supplementing with a protein powder within 30 minutes post workout will aid in repairing muscle breakdown and help rebuild and recover. Taking 25-35g will make it’s way to your muscles much faster than eating solid food, allowing your body to heal and help prevent getting into an over trained state.
8. Carboydrate Supplement: Glycogen is our main fuel source when we train. As we train, our muscle glycogen stores are broken down and depleted. Although you can drink a carb supplement before you train to make sure you are plenty fueled, we find it most beneficial to drink a carb supplement with a high molecular weight, post workout in order to replenish glycogen and regulate cortisol. When you are done training, it’s important for us to shut down that “fight or flight” response our bodies go into while working out, so consuming 25-50+ grams (dependent on the person and intensity) of carbs immediately post workout will ensure we tell our bodies our training is done and it can now go into recovery mode. This will aid in recovery and muscle growth and well as ward off energy crashes!
Of coarse, above all else, we first and foremost recommend eating a balanced, high quality diet and then adding in supplements next! None of these should replace whole foods but only compliment them in taking that next step to create optimal health and wellness. Always consult your doctor first to make sure any supplement you are taking is safe! Talk to your nutrition coach to further dig into how to best implement these!
Recommended Brands: Elite Fuel, Mission6, Vitargo, Xendurance
Comment below with any questions you may have!
Have an amazing week!