It has been HOT here in Washington! We normally feel like it’s getting warm here when it’s 70 and we hit 110 the other day! So needless to say, we’re all in a little heat shock!
Summer is in full force all over the U.S. and one thing we hear from our clients right now is that appetite is low, the foods they crave are very limited or different than normal! It’s common to have a suppressed appetite when the weather gets warmer, but that doesn’t mean our bodies still don’t need the fuel!
Sometimes we have to roll with the punches and make changes to our normal routine and meals in order to get in the calories we need. Here are some ideas to keep you fueled and cool!
- Boiled Eggs: Make a big batch, keep them in the fridge, eat them on their own or make an egg salad!
- Chicken or Tuna salad: throw in some avocado, seasonings, pickles, onions. Top it on a fresh salad, rice cakes, wrap or sandwich.
- BBQ all the things! Grilling a big batch of protein like chicken breast, fish, shrimp, steaks will save on time and give you protein to grab for several days. Throw it on a salad or a side of veggies, we love bbq’ing our veggies as well!
- Fresh Fruit: Berries, melons, apples, oranges, pineapple, mangos- whatever fruits you crave!. This is the time of year to get all the fresh fruit! It’s refreshing and an easy way to get in nutrient- dense carbs!
- Smoothies: Piggybacking off of fresh fruit.. Smoothies and smoothie bowls are a life- saver this time of year! You can make these a million different ways! Just pick the base fruit that you like, add milk of choice (we like almond or coconut), some healthy fats like nuts, nut butter, avocado or greek yogurt. Then some greens, protein powder and you have a meal! If you do a bowl, top with seeds, granola, more fruit, etc! These are an amazing way to pack a ton of calories in a balanced way that’s refreshing!
- Veggies: Just like fruit, veggies are fresh right now and so easy! Chop up your favorites and eat them with hummus or greek yogurt dip, throw them on the BBQ or on a salad!
- Tacos: Use you’re already BBQ’d meat, top with fresh salsa, avocado or whatever your toppings of choice are! Or, make a taco inspired fresh salad!
- Summer Salads: There are SO many awesome cold, Summer salad recipes out there! Bust out your Google search and find one that looks good (we also have a few in our recipe library). A lot of salads will make a big batch that you can eat off of for a couple meals and just top with protein. These are great because they usually are filling and pack a ton of nutrients and colors!
When it’s hot out, try to stick with foods that won’t heat up your kitchen. It’s the perfect time of year to take advantage of fresh fruits and veggies! When you cook, try to cook in bulk so that if you do have to heat up the grill or stove, it’s less often. Mix it up, don’t feel like you have to be married to breakfast foods for breakfast, etc.
Hydrate well and keep it simple if needed!