Growing up in Washington State, I have grown up in the land of coffee. There is a coffee stand on virtually every corner and Starbucks even originated in Seattle, if that tells you anything at all! Washingtonians love their cup of Joe and I have to admit, it’s probably a pleasure in life i’ll never give up!
I started my coffee drinking habit because I worked in a coffee shop all though school and it was at my disposal. Of course, back then it was more like sugar and milk with some espresso shots thrown in. I have never been the black coffee kinda gal, and if you are a straight black coffee drinker I commend you, ya’ll are hardcore! Once I started becoming more aware of nutrition of how much sugar and calories were in some of those drinks, my mind was blown at how many calories people were taking down in a single drink!
Then started my journey to find ways to still love my morning coffee and make it taste delicious without being loaded with sugar and calories! Liquid calories are somewhat of a tragedy at times if you are watching your intake. They usually taste good, but don’t fill you up or keep you full for too long (unless we are talking a seriously loaded smoothie!). Plus, taking the time to actually chew our food helps signal our body that we are full and satisfied.
So why not be able to enjoy our coffee without all the added calories? Best of both worlds? Yes please!
Here are a few ways I love to spice up my morning (or afternoon!) cup of coffee while keeping it healthier and macro-friendly:
- Start with a black base. If you are ordering it out, instead of ordering as a latte’ (milk base) order it black or as an americano and build from there. This will save you a lot of calories since it’s a water base and not milk! If you are making it as home, same rules apply, just start with your espresso and water or black drip coffee.
- Add Your Milk or Milk Alternative. Asking for a specific amount of milk will control the calories. For example, instead of having them freehand pour your milk of choice in, ask for 1,2,3 oz, etc. or ask to pour it in yourself! I think it’s a common misconception that going straight for non-fat milk is the way to go, but often using whole milk, half and half or another milk like oat, almond or soy can take less milk and not many more calories to satisfy just as much! There are so many great milk alternatives out there now that if you don’t do well with dairy but like a creamy coffee, the options are pretty endless!
- Ask for it Steamed and Foamy! If you add a smaller amount of milk, but ask for it steamed, it will still give a frothy, latte’- like base to your black coffee!
- Add Spice! Ask for cinnamon, pumpkin spice, nutmeg or vanilla powders to be steamed or mixed in, this is a great calorie-free way to add some excitement to your cup!
- Sweeten it up! While we don’t think artificial sweeteners should be a staple in your diet, a small amount in your coffee can add a little sweetness while not adding a bunch of carbs to your drink. Asking for sugar free syrup or using monk fruit drops, sweet drops, or stevia are all ways to sweeten it up a bit! If you don’t mind using some carbs up, some local honey will add just enough sweetness and still doesn’t break the macro bank! If you want the real deal you can always get your flavor of choice but ask for it half sweet, given most flavorings are pure sugar, usually half the amount is still plenty!
These are just a few ways to save on calories and still have a delicious cup of coffee! If you want to find new creative ways to order your coffee, we love following @macrobarista on Instagram for all kinds of fun ideas- macros included!
As Fall approaches, there’s nothing quite like a cozy cup of coffee! Shoot us a comment as let us know what your favorite way to drink your coffee is!